DonorsChoose Rocks!

Ok as I promised...my post about DonorsChoose...but I have to have rant for a few minutes first. We had a handyman come last week to fix a few things around the house and only this morning did I realize my ipod is gone. I admit, I was stupid to leave it in the room with the guy alone but shouldn't you be able to trust people? We are a military household (my boyfriend is in the Air Force) and the guy knew that...he had said something to the extent of "oh you're an officer so you can afford me doing a lot of projects around your house". It's bad enough to steal from people but it's even worse to steal from someone serving your country! Now I'm ipodless and due to school just starting I'm broke and can't buy another one.

Ok forgive me, now on to DonorsChoose. I absolutely love this site and if you're a public school, full time teacher you have to sign up! This site is a non-profit organization that is aimed at helping teachers obtain materials for their classroom through donations from people across the country. I was a little skeptical when I signed up a year and a half ago...but two months after I posted my 1st project, I got funded! Now I have had a total of 11 projects funded for a total of about $3500! Crazy huh?! I've been amazed at the generosity of people...most of my funding has come from people that don't even know me! I work at a school that serves Army children so I think that helps get donations...a lot of my donors leave comments saying they want to help military kiddos.

When you sign up you'll start off with 3 points...each point it worth a project of materials up to $400. Then it's time to post a project...and wait. It's taken me several months to get fully funded, and I've even had some that never get funded. But if you keep your project under $300, normally they do get funded! After you get funded, you'll have to write a brief thank you online. Then they'll ship the materials and you'll get them within a few days. After you get the stuff and can use it, you will take pictures of your students using the items (DonorsChoose has pre-made permission slips to take pictures that you'll send home to parents) Once you post your follow up, pictures and send cards to donors (it's all super easy so don't worry!) you will earn more points to submit even more projects.

Go explore the site at www.donorschoose.org Anyway...sign up!

posted under |

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

that sounds like a wonderful idea!! You seem like a really great person, so I'm not surprised your karma came back to you double (good karma)

Newer Post Older Post Home

About Me

My photo
I'm a first grade teacher on a military post in Colorado. My job is great and I couldn't imagine doing anything else!

Followers


Recent Comments