Word Wall

I love word walls! Every year I take the time to create one with the theme of my classroom. Since I'm doing a western theme, I knew it had to somehow relate. Last year I did a word wall that was a giant film strip and the year before I had a giant American Flag made out of colored butcher paper...I wish I would have taken pictures! So for this year I had thought about a giant cowboy boot, or maybe even a squiggly snake, but in the end an old western building won out! All western towns had a bank, so I made a WORD BANK...way cheesy but cute too. I found some really neat fadeless paper at the local teacher store that looks like old wood (it's hard to see in the pictures). I really think by creating a fun word wall, my kiddos are more interested in it, rather than just some boring boxes on the wall.

(FYI you can't see the letters on the 'door' in the picture, but you can see them clearly in the classroom)

I'll admit it took me several hours to complete....but I was really proud of it! I even showed the pictures to my boyfriend...the reply I got was "it looks like a castle". A castle!? I guess I can see it but the old western buildings/shops look like how I made my building. Oh well, haha, now I'll just be paranoid about it all night until I go back in tomorrow to keep working on my room. More pictures will be posted tomorrow! :)

As I get my room up and running, I'll be sure to post some of the activities that I use with my kiddos on our word wall! Stay tuned!

posted under |

2 comments:

Bobbie said...

I love your word wall! It is so cute! My room doesn't have any low wall space or huge wall space. Every wall either has cubbies, white board, built in shelves or windows.

Ms. F said...

Bobbie, Thanks so much for your comment. That's a bummer about your wall space since every teacher needs wall space, lol! If you have high wall space you could make use of it but getting a long pointer. Our local teacher store has a 4 ft pointer that I love! That way I can post stuff high up and use the pointer to show the kiddos!

Newer Post Older Post Home

About Me

My photo
I'm a first grade teacher on a military post in Colorado. My job is great and I couldn't imagine doing anything else!

Followers


Recent Comments